07 April 2015

Chocolate and walnut muffins to make you smile + Recipe!

You're worth it!
So this is one of my recipes I've tried out recently and these are really delicious. Maybe different from your grocery kind of muffin, but very good! This is a healthy but festive muffin so worth to share. Lots of other muffins I've made are more breakfast-like so maybe I share those another time. but today it's the tasty treat-like muffins!

Baking advise!
You can easily divide the recipe in half, I would advise you to do so when you try out this recipe for the first time. If you may not like these or maybe make a mistake in the measurements, then you don't waste good ingredients. I always make a half of a recipe when I try out anything new so I advise you to also do this.

Full recipe (12 muffins!)

The ingredients
200 grams of wheat flour
75 grams of oatmeal (or oatmeal flour)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
half a teaspoon of vanilla sugar
100 grams of cane sugar
200 milliliters (almond) milk
2 eggs
half of a teaspoon salt
100 milliliters of melted unsalted butter
70 grams of chopped walnuts
80 grams (any kind) of a chocolate bar

Utensils
I've used a wooden spoon to create these, but you can also use a hand mixer to mix the ingredients shortly. You also need two big bowls and some smaller to measure ingredients in, a scale who knows grams (and milliliters or cups for milliliters) a (wooden)spoon with a hole inside, a hand chopper or knife, a sieve, a teaspoon, 2 tablespoons, a food processor or a mortar and pestle and you have to know your oven.

Your oven
I have a fan and an electric oven, I've baked these in my electric oven; who is also a very hot oven, so I always have to lower my temperature. Be sure you know your oven and keep checking on them if everything goes well.

How to create them
1. Preheat your oven to 190°C electric or 170°C / 180°C fan.
(Mine were baked in my 'hot' electric oven with a temp of 165°C)
2. Place your cupcake liners in a cupcake baking tray. 
3. Put your oatmeal's in your food processor and set it on turbo speed or fasted speed. Within seconds you have your oatmeal flour. It's much cheaper than ready oatmeal flour.
4. Take one bowl and your sieve and put the wheat flour and the oatmeal flour in there and sift it.
5. Chop your walnuts and with a knife; slice tiny bits of the chocolate bar.
6. Then to this bowl add all dry ingredients; baking powder, sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, chocolate and walnuts and stir well with your wooden spoon with a hole in the middle.
7. Now melt the butter in your microwave or on your stove, don't cook it!
8. Meanwhile in a bigger bowl add your 2 eggs and the milk (I've used almond milk because it's tasty) and mix well. Then add the melted butter when it's ready.
9. Now put this wet mixture with the dry ingredients and stir a little bit until all dry ingredients are wet, stir like 10 times.
10. With your 2 table spoons fill in the cupcakes, they will be quite full.
11. Bake them for 20 to 25 minutes. You should poke them in the middle with a wooden skewer or something and if it comes out dry then it's ready.
12. When ready leave them in the cupcake tray for 5 minutes and after place them on a baking rack to cool down. This takes around a half an hour or maybe a bit longer.
13. To keep them well, don't close them off completely. Place a piece cling film on them but don't tuck them in. Leave the side open to get fresh air in. If you close them off they become mushy and wet.

Crumbly heaven
These muffins are moist but crumbly. In every bite you have a crunch from the walnuts and a soft chocolate taste. This muffins looks like a cupcake but it's a muffin. It's so flat because of the heavy chocolate and walnuts in there. You can take big bites out of this muffins, but because it's so crumbly you can also take the time and eat it like chips while watching tv, forever in heaven ;)

A basic muffin transformed into something festive to make you smile.

Gain weight with my baking's... NO!
I've been baking a lot lately, trying out all new and old recipes just for fun and to check if I can make my daily diet bigger so I have more variety. I'm also keeping a close eye on my weight because I'm also on a weight loss diet made by me; eat more healthy, eat less but don't starve! But my "healthy" is not weird ingredients etc. Like low kcal muffins with the weirdest ingredients you have no idea they existed. More healthy like baking your own muffins and knowing how much of everything you want to add in there and no weird chemicals, factories put in there. Back to my baking's: Five days in a row I've made different muffins and cupcakes all very tasty and every time 6 each. So 2 for me, 2 for my mom and 2 for my sister We ate these in the evening watching our favorite TV series. Then we wondered after a while this is fun but this is not really great for your weight so much treats every evening. Because we all knew our weight and stepped on the scale... Mom and sister both didn't gain an ounce and I even lost weight! So the baking is a succes and works perfect with my weight loss diet! So NO worries; you can eat and enjoy my baking's and keep your figure!

Stay tuned for more recipes!